Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a Malaysian wife/husband, may you still apply for the MM2H program?

Previously, if you had a Malaysian spouse, you were not eligible for the MM2H visa and were required to apply for the ‘Spouse Visa’. Fortunately, the rules have changed, and you may now apply if you have a Malaysian wife/husband.

Do I have to move to Malaysia as soon as I get the MM2H visa?

You do not have to move to Malaysia. There is talk about requiring approved applicants to spend 90 days a year in the country but as of January 2020 this had not been implemented. The visa allows you to come and go as you please.

I am not married but my partner and I have been living together for a long time.
Can we apply for the programme?

If you are not married, you will have to apply separately and you will both need to qualify for the visa

Will I get PR (Permanent Residency) status if I apply for MM2H?

Unfortunately, having an MM2H visa does not entitle applicants to citizenship or Permanent Residency (PR) and it cannot be converted to PR status. The MM2H visa is a 5+5 year visa which gives the flexibility for the applicants to come in and out of Malaysia as many times as they like without any restrictions.

Can I open or buy a business in Malaysia under MM2H?

It is possible to set up a business or buy one but you are not allowed to become involved in the day-to-day running of the business. In that case, you need to apply for a work visa.

Can participants buy tax-free cars?

MM2H applicants are no longer allowed to import or buy a tax-free car.


Do I have to buy a property if I am approved?

The programme does not require any property purchase. According to research by TEG Media, around 20 percent of applicants who move here choose to rent properties or stay in serviced apartments.

Must foreigners buy new properties, (e.g. from developers), or can they purchase any property, (second-hand or third-hand property)?

You can buy new or second-hand properties. Each state in Malaysia sets its own rules regarding property purchase. Usually, any property over RM1,000,000 can be purchased by a foreigner but some states have slightly different rules and some states set lower limits for people with the MM2H visa.

If I purchase a property, must I still place a fixed deposit?

Yes, you have to place the fixed deposit although it can be reduced if you buy a property.


Are the financial deposits required for each adult and child that apply for MM2H?

The fixed deposit placement only has to be made by the main applicant. Dependents are not required to place one, but the total fixed deposit is increased when dependents join the program. (RM50,000 per dependent)

When can I withdraw my fixed deposit?

You can only withdraw the Fixed Deposit when you leave the program. A partial withdrawal is permitted after one year (Maximum RM500,000) to cover actual expenses incurred for – property purchase, car purchase, education of children, and medical expenses.

My pension and other income are taxed at the source. Even though it is not taxed in Malaysia, I still pay tax in my home country, so I receive no financial benefits.

If your country has a double tax agreement with Malaysia (such as the UK and Germany), then you can register with the tax authorities in Malaysia, even though you have no tax liability in this country. You can then show this to your home country’s tax authorities, who may authorize your pension to be paid tax-free.

What is my liability for tax in Malaysia?

Overseas income is now taxable in Malaysia, but individuals have received a five-year waiver beginning in 2022. Any income earned in Malaysia is taxable Malaysia. There is no inheritance tax in Malaysia. Foreigners are liable to a 30% real property gains tax in Malaysia if they sell within 5 years of acquisition and tax to 10% after 5 years.

Is the interest on the fixed deposit taxable?

There is no tax on the interest from the Fixed Deposits which are placed for under RM 100,000. For this reason, the banks will usually split your Fixed Deposit into placements that are individually less than that amount.

How much interest will I earn on the fixed deposit, and can I keep this money?

You may keep the interest on the Fixed Deposit. Interest paid to foreigners varies from bank to bank but is currently around 2.0 percent.

Is it possible to open a Malaysian bank account from abroad?

Once you have obtained the MM2H approval and you have a bank account in your home country, then you can usually arrange to open an account with their branch in Malaysia. Otherwise, you can open one when you have collected the visa and move here.

Is it allowable, once you have been conditionally approved, to enter the country and go to a local bank to deposit cash and open an account?

Most clients will open their FD account once they arrive in Malaysia. Setting up the FD account is simple but transferring the money from your home country to the bank account here can take several days. Due to immigration law, you are only allowed to bring a certain amount of cash with you so make arrangements for this.

If you have other questions about MM2H or would like us to be your agent, please contact us through our free Help Desk.

Our company Borneo Vision (MM2H) Sdn Bhd is an approved agent for the programme. We can submit your application without you being here. You only need to come to Malaysia when it is approved. Check out “Six reasons to use us as your agent”.